Sunday, March 22, 2015

English Spot The Error


Spot the incorrect parts of the sentences.

1. The jury have not / been able to decide / which of the two / should be punished.

a. The jury have not
b. been able to decide
c. which of the two
d. should be punished.
e. No error
ANSWER: a. The jury have not 
Correct sentence: The jury has not been able to decide which of the two should be punished.
Explanation: Jury is a singular collective noun in this situation. 


2. I was talking about those / people which were / involved with the party.

a. I was talking about those
b. people which were
c. involved with the party.
d. No error
ANSWER: b. people which were
Correct sentence: I was talking about those people who were involved with the party.
Explanation: For living beings, especially human beings, who is used. Which is for non-living objects.


3. He lives / in UK.

a. He lives
b. in UK.
c. No error
ANSWER: b. in UK.
Correct sentence: He live in the UK.
Explanation: As countries like the US and the UK are unions of many separate states.


4. I am enjoying / working here.

a. I am enjoying
b. working here.
c. No error
ANSWER: a. I am enjoying
Correct sentence: I enjoy working here.
Explanation: In repeated actions which are done everyday, simple present is used and not present continuous.


5. His mother was / very much worried / about him.

a. His mother was
b. very much worried
c. about him.
d. No error
ANSWER: b. very much worried
Correct sentence: His mother was very worried about him.
Explanation: Very much is a wrong usage.


6. I would / have come if / I could have.

a. I would 
b. have come if
c. I could have.
d. No error
ANSWER: d. No error 

7. If I was you / I wouldn't have done / anything of that sort.

a. If I was you
b. I wouldn't have done
c. anything of that sort.
d. No error
ANSWER: a. If I was you
Correct sentence: If I were you I wouldn't have done anything of that sort.
Explanation: In such wishful thinking were is used regardless of the subject's person or number


8. She learns not only dance / but also teaches some children.

a. She learns not only dance
b. but also teaches some children.
c. No error
ANSWER: a. She learns not only dance
Correct sentence: She not only learns dance but also teaches some children.
Explanation: When two actions are being joined, not only and but also are used before the actions


9. I had been / eating this thing / since morning.

a. I had been
b. eating this thing
c. since morning.
d. No error
ANSWER: a. I had been
Correct sentence: I have been eating this thing since morning.
Explanation: When something started some time ago and still continues, present perfect continuous form is used.


10. He is so proudy / that he will not even / go for a rechecking.

a. He is so proudy
b. that he will not even
c. go for a rechecking.
d. No error
ANSWER: a. He is so proudy 
Correct sentence: He is so proud that he will not even go for a rechecking.
Explanation: Proudy is a wrong usage. The correct adjectives is proud.




No comments:

Post a Comment